Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Avaaz's Elixir for Exxon Ad Propoganda

I was in an airport with my sister recently (yep, I fly 3 or 4 times a year) and saw a full hallway of these Exxon ads about climate change. Made by Euro RSCG, but not featured online. They were these beautifully laid out equations with declarations that climate change will be solved by technology, so leave the problem-solving up to our scientists who understand these elegant equations & reactions (my personal favorite being pV=nRT), and just keep going about your business as usual, everything will be fine, Exxon has it under control. While I generally think of oil companies as delusionally market driven and not necessarily outright slimy, the propoganda factor was so obvious in these ads that they were vaguely funny. And perhaps all the more ironic because it was just last year that the Rockefellers pressured Exxon to stop funding for climate change denial groups. Apparently my sister and I weren't the only ones grossed out by these ads. Avaaz, an organization encouraging social action on a variety of global issues, made a spoof ad (perhaps not far from the original) to call Exxon out on its blatant ridiculousness:

See Avaaz's counter commercial here

No comments: